Change Default Text File Format after installation

Sebastian Schuberth s.schuberth@tu-bs.de
Mon Apr 11 15:17:00 GMT 2005

>>>In the mount table.  See "man mount".  Google for "cygwin remount binary"
>>>for a handy one-liner.
>>
>>Thanks. The default mounts seem to be encoded in the Windows registry, as
>>there is not fstab.
>
> By "default mounts", do you mean the /cygdrive auto-mounts?

Yes, all mounts that are there after a fresh install of Cygwin.

>>It also seems I need to change the flags in a key named "cygdrive flags"
>>if I want to change the mount mode of auto-mounted drives. Is that
>>correct?
>
> No, that is *NOT* correct.  The mounts are stored in the registry *now*,
> but they aren't guaranteed to stay in the registry in the future.  What is
> guaranteed, however, is that the "mount" command will *always* manipulate
> the mount table, wherever it's stored.  Cygwin's "mount" is very different
> from the Linux "mount" -- you really should read the "mount" manpage.

Well, I only need a solution for my special case *now*, so it's okay for
me if mounts are going to be stored anywhere else in the future. My
problem is: I've set "Default Text File Format" to "Unix" during setup.
Now I just want to change my Cygwin installation as if I had specified
"DOS" instead.

> The flags on the auto-mounted drives can be changed by setting them in
> conjunction with the --change-cygdrive-prefix (-c) mount flag.  So, to
> make them binary, just say
>
> mount -sbc /cygdrive

Thanks. I've changed all my mounts to "textmode". What I don't get: If I
now create a file using VIM and look at it afterwards using "od -c", it
still contains \n instead of \r\n line ends. Why is that?

--
Sebastian Schuberth