Please test 2005-Apr-12 snapshot

103571.1247 103571.1247@compuserve.com
Thu Apr 14 03:46:00 GMT 2005

Eric Blake wrote:

>>I'd like to ask people to test the latest snapshot as of today.  It contains
>>two patches, one of them with some impact on how timestamps are used.
>>
>>The first patch is less important, it should just stop floppy access when
>>sync is called on Win2K boxes.
>>

>Doesn't seem to be any problem with this on my Win2k box at work (I still need to test XP and 98 when I get home)
>

>>The second patch is this:
>>
>>In 1.5.13 and 1.5.14 we introduced touching the CreationTime stamp in
>>a way, which simulates a POSIX ctime using the CreationTime stamp.
>>This resulted in some complaints, the most important one that native
>>Windows applications might misbehave because of strange CreationTimes.
>>
>>The snapshot now contains a patch which changes the ctime handling as
>>follows:
>>
>>- Windows NT supports a fourth timestamp which is inaccessible from the
>>  Win32 API.  The NTFS filesystem actually implements it.  It behaves
>>  as a ctime in a POSIX-like fashion.  Cygwin's st_ctime stat member now
>>  contains this ChangeTime, if it's available.
>>
>>- Any other file system, which doesn't support the ChangeTime stamp
>>  uses the LastWriteTime stamp as ctime.  This comes relatively close
>>  to the way ctime behaves in POSIX.
>>
>>- The CreationTime stamp is neither read nor changed programatically by
>>  Cygwin now.  This should solve the aforementioned problems for native
>>  Win32 applications.
>>
>>Please download from http://www.cygwin.com/snapshots/ and test.
>>

>The second patch caused a regression in the coreutils test suite:
>
>$ touch -c none
>touch: setting times of `none': Permission denied
>$ echo $?
>1
>
>This used to work in 1.5.14, and POSIX requires that it is a nop with exit status 0.
>
>--
>Eric Blake
>

>--

The snapshot is working on Windows 98 (Thank you!) with the FAT32 file
system.  These are some of the programs that have run:
basename.exe, (skipping the *.exe extension from here on) clamd,
clamdscan, echo, id, mutt, nano, rm, sort, ssmtp, tin, uname, pine, cvs,
xterm, xwin, dillo, dpid, pico, fetchmail, procmail. ClamAV also
compiled nicely into executables that say "Function not implemented."
(Newbie error, not Cygwin error. <g>)
David