Installing Courier-Imap

Kees Vonk keesinoz@yahoo.co.uk
Fri Apr 15 00:53:00 GMT 2005

Brian Dessent wrote:
> Kees Vonk wrote:
>
> Okay, the .la is just the libtool version of an .a file.  That's all
> fine and good.
>

>>gcc -I./.. -I.. -Wall -g -O2    makedatprog.c   -o makedatprog
>

> This is your problem.  make is invoking an implicit rule for
> makedatprog, rather than the one specified by the Makefile which
> contains all the required libs.  This happens when the Makefile doesn't
> use $(EXEEXT) for names of executables.  It doesn't matter under linux
> because binares have no extensions but it's required for Cygwin.  You
> probably need to change Makefile.am to
>
> EXTRA_PROGRAMS=makedatprog$(EXEEXT)
>
> ...and then autoreconf to regenerate all the files.  There may be other
> cases where a binary name is referenced without $(EXEEXT) that you will
> have to correct.  You should take this up on the courier list though.

I started with a new source tree, removed AC_PROG_SYSCONFTOOL from
configure.in (otherwise autoreconf fails as it is not defined anywhere,
maybe I shouldn't do this, but if I don't remove it is just throws up a
warning when running configure).

Fixed makedat/Makefile.am to look like:

-----

# $Id: Makefile.am,v 1.5 2004/09/08 01:27:34 mrsam Exp $
#
# Copyright 1998 - 2004 Double Precision, Inc.  See COPYING for
# distribution information.

AUTOMAKE = srcdir=${srcdir} @SHELL@ ${srcdir}/../automake.fix @AUTOMAKE@

noinst_PROGRAMS=@makedatprog_target@

EXTRA_PROGRAMS=makedatprog$(EXEEXT)

makedatprog_SOURCES=makedatprog.c
makedatprog_DEPENDENCIES=@dblibrary@
makedatprog_LDADD=@dblibrary@ @LIBGDBM@ @LIBDB@

-----

Then I ran the following commands:

-----

for file in $(ls -l | grep ^d | cut -c45- | grep -v cache)
do
    cd $file
    touch AUTHORS
    touch ChangeLog
    touch NEWS
    touch README
    aclocal
    cd ..
done; autoreconf --install --force --verbose

./configure --without-authldap

make

-----

But the result is still the same makedat fails exactly the same, what am
I doing wrong.

Sorry for this long drawn out problem.

Kees