Mirror, Mirroring, Download, Downloading Cygwin Release Using rsync

L Anderson lowella@serv.net
Thu Apr 21 09:26:00 GMT 2005

Brian Dessent wrote:
> L Anderson wrote:
>

>>I use rsync to maintain a local Cygwin release mirror so I can use Setup
>>to locally install anything from Cygwin release on a number of PCs on my
>>network.
>
> I do too but without the script part.  I just have a line in my crontab:
>
> 00 10,22 * * * rsync -rlt --exclude=mail-archives
> rsync://mirrors.kernel.org/sources.redhat.com/cygwin/ /d/cygwin-mirror/
>>/dev/null
>

> I don't really see why you need to do it in two steps, just use
> --exclude to get rid of stuff you don't want and mirror the base
> directory.

Initially I used --exclude but decided it was safer to ask for what I
want rather than for everything but what I don't want. If a subdirectory
that I don't want is added to the mirror, it gets downloaded until I
discover it and change the --exclude to exclude it. The mirror's
directory structure is more stable now than when I stared so it might
not be such a problem, however, .....

> You can cut that down significantly by using --exclude to ignore the
> source packages.  Of course, that means you can't install source
> packages.

I know, but then we wouldn't have all that nifty source code easily at
hand to drive us crazy trying to figure out what it does :-) so that
someday we might be able to contribute.

You have given me a couple of things to think about, especially using
cron, thanks.

Regards,

Lowell Anderson