findutils still broken

Christopher Faylor cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com
Thu Apr 21 21:06:00 GMT 2005

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 08:15:33PM +0000, Eric Blake wrote:
>> Nevertheless, Cygwin does try only to set errno when there is an error.
>> There are some cases where that isn't true but I didn't see any that
>> referred to EISDIR.
>>

>While I didn't find any EISDIR on success (yet), I did find the
>following in 1.5.15: [l]stat() on /proc/registry/HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT sets
>EBADF on success, and lstat() on
>/proc/registry/HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/\*/InfoTip sets ENOENT on success.  I
>originally wrote this program to discover that inode reporting in
>readdir() is broken (to which you replied that fixing it would cause
>too much of a slowdown),

Yes, both Corinna and I had potential "fixes" (neither being a complete
fix) for this in our sandboxes but they didn't make it into 1.5.15.
Corinna got this working for >=XP which means that it wouldn't be right
only on NTFS file systems on NT3.5, NT4, and NT2K.  I just was going to
get rid of the inode field entirely because, as you'd previously said,
any well-designed software would adapt to the lack of that field.

The end result was that neither of the changes got in.

cgf