Trouble making .so (undefined symbols)

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Thu Aug 4 23:59:00 GMT 2005

Warren Young wrote:

> > I may have found the postings you refer to, but both include URLs to
> > dead sites.  Can you provide a direct link?
>
> Nevermind.  I found another post by Gerrit showing how to make a shared
> library from a static one.  For the archives:
>
>         http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2002-07/msg02202.html

Uh, no.  That's ancient advice.  There should be no need for those
"steamroller tactics" as Gerrit put it.  The message I was referring to
was much more recent:

After making those changes (and an autoreconf) you can build a shared
library with any kind of manual intervention.  I have used the following
in the past:

autoreconf --install --verbose --force && \
./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var \
    --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man \
    --disable-static --without-{debug,readline,libedit,server}

> New problem: example programs link, and run for a short while, then

This is with a native server?  Or a Cygwin server?

Brian