setup.exe filename

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc@alltel.net
Mon Aug 8 04:45:00 GMT 2005

Bill Priest wrote:
> I typically save cygwin's setup.exe to my Desktop as I update cygwin
> quite often; however, I've found that this interferes with some other
> (admittedly buggy and lame install programs).  It isn't a big deal to
> rename setup.exe to cygwin_setup.exe (or your favorite) or to do save
> link as.

I've renamed it "bpmfh.exe" which is short for "bastard package manager from
hell"

Many of the users I've turned on to cygwin don't immediately grok the notion
that setup.exe is more than just a run once installation program.   Usually
the question after installing is "where is gcc? where is make?" "I installed
cygwin and it's not there!".   Maybe it ought to be something like
cygwin-package-manager.exe or cpm.exe or something.  *shrug*

---
J Lambert