Bug Report: python os.popen seems to have recently been broken

Nick Burch nick@torchbox.com
Mon Aug 8 10:15:00 GMT 2005


Hi All

I think the os.popen function in python has recently been broken.

You can see this with the following python code:
 	import os
 	fout = os.popen("echo hello")
 	print fout.read()

On a machine I haven't updated for a little while, I get the expected 
result of "hello". This machine is running:
 	Python 2.4 (#1, Dec  4 2004, 20:10:33)
 	[GCC 3.3.3 (cygwin special)] on cygwin

On another machine that I updated last week, I get a blank string 
returned, instead of "hello" as expected. It runs:
 	Python 2.4.1 (#1, May 27 2005, 18:02:40)
 	[GCC 3.3.3 (cygwin special)] on cygwin

I'm not sure if this is related, but if I call "fout.close()" on the 1st 
machine, then nothing is returned (as expected). However, if I execute it 
on the 2nd (updated) machine, then I get an integer returned, 32512.

Nick

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/



More information about the Cygwin mailing list