difference in permissions, using two SSH authentication methods: public key/password

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Wed Aug 10 22:29:00 GMT 2005

Michael Spector wrote:

> May be this question is not for this maillist, so please excuse me:
>
> Is there a way of disabling this NTSEC security mechanism?
> I mean: is there a way of accessing shared disks without logging in with password?
>
> I tried setting CYGWIN=nontsec, but the situation is the same.

As Corinna already said, you will need to provide the password one way
or another for network share authentication.  You can do this by giving
it directly to 'net use', or you can run the sshd service as the desired
user.  In this case you will give the password for the user when
installing the service, and there will be no user context switching
necessary.  The token for the service will already contain the password,
so it should be possible to access network shares using passwordless ssh
auth.  The downside is that you will only ever be able to log in as that
user.  (Both because regular user accounts lack the privileges to switch
user contexts and because doing so would just result in the same problem
of a token lacking a password.)

Brian