Rsync over SSH dies before it is able to send with lots of files

Christopher Faylor cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com
Fri Aug 12 03:15:00 GMT 2005

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 09:01:11PM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
>According to Christopher Faylor on 8/11/2005 11:34 AM:
>>>Can you reproduce this with the latest Cygwin snapshot?
>
>snapshot 20050811 fixes the problem; I correctly got "Argument list too
>long" on a 2 meg command line, in both bash 3.0 and in my private
>3.1-alpha, although it took 1m27.486s to give up (I think part of that
>was the fact that NTFS is not very fast when bash is trying to glob
>45000 files in the same directory).  So there is no point in me trying
>to debug bash, because who knows what else was corrupted by the
>cygwin1.dll bug before bash code was executing again.  Thanks for a
>nice fix!

Out of curiousity do you have your /bin directory mounted with -X?  If
so, this should remove most of the command line length limitations --
except in 1.5.18 which was unable to allocate more than a pitiful amount
of memory for cygwin's heap.  The allocation problem was fixed earlier
this week and doesn't have anything to do with the recent E2BIG fixes
that I just made.

cgf