$OS vs `uname -s` [Attn: base-files maintainer]

Gerrit P. Haase gerrit@familiehaase.de
Mon Aug 15 12:05:00 GMT 2005

Eric Blake wrote:

> If your setup is like mine, OS is an inherited environment variable, set
> by Windows before bash is even started.  You can set it to whatever you
> like.  Meanwhile, uname -s is not affected by the environment (you really
> don't want an environment variable changing the uname output).  Hmm, maybe
> we should update /etc/profile to do OS=`uname -s`.  Thoughts?

No, IMO leave it alone.
We are on Windows and there are several flavours, I need to know if
I'm on NT or Win98 and the few Windows environment settings are useful.

FWIW, it is not defined on my Slackware box:

$ ssh slackware -l root
root@slackware's password:
Last login: Thu Aug 11 19:43:51 2005
Linux 2.4.22.