Another (differently) broken man on CygWin 1.5.8 -- Apropos still troublesome

Herb Martin HerbM@learnquick.com
Mon Aug 15 14:11:00 GMT 2005

> [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf Of Eric Blake
> According to Herb Martin on 8/14/2005 10:22 PM:
> >
> > 	cygwin (like Linux apparently) keeps a database of
> > 		programs and so deleting an incorrect program
> > 		on the path may leave the OS complaining about
> > 		the missing item rather than using the now
> > 		available correct item EVEN THOUGH the correct
> > 		program is earlier in the path.
>
> In bash, "shopt -s checkhash" tells bash to recheck the PATH
> when a program disappears from its hashed location.  "hash -p
> /usr/bin/man man"
> tells bash to remember that man should be /usr/bin/man,
> regardless of the path.  And "hash -r man" removes the
> current hashing of man, making the next use of man do a PATH
> search.  (Read up on 'man bash' for more.)

Thanks, I really appreciate you help.

man hash and info hash are both worthless (except to
admit that "hash" is exists, i.e., is a built-in.

hash --help is nearly as bad, unless perhaps you already
know how it works and just need the switch letter.

Maybe you know how to fix this (perhaps related) problem
with apropos:

$ apropos hash
/usr/bin/apropos: line 35: man: command not found
apropos: manpath is null

There is a man directory in /usr/bin, i.e., /usr/bin/man --
with man.exe being the program, while manpath gives:

$ manpath
/usr/local/man:/usr/share/man:/usr/man:/usr/X11R6/man:/usr/ssl/man:/usr/X11R
6/share/man

$ which apropos
/usr/bin/apropos

$ link /usr/bin/man.exe /usr/bin/man
link: cannot create link `/usr/bin/man' to `/usr/bin/man.exe': File exists

$ which man.exe
/usr/bin/man.exe

Man works, but I cannot build a link from man->man.exe due to
the directory with the same name:

$ man
What manual page do you want?

Running hash against /usr/bin/man without adding the
.exe fails this way:

$ hash -p /usr/bin/man man
bash: hash: /usr/bin/man: Is a directory

This seems to work but doesn't fix apropos:
$ hash -p /usr/bin/man.exe man
bash: hash: /usr/bin/man: Is a directory

Thanks.

--
Herb Martin