Cant add to path

Gerrit P. Haase gerrit@familiehaase.de
Wed Aug 17 14:02:00 GMT 2005

David wrote:

> Hi,
> I installed cygwin_NT-5.1.
> Built a project needed.
> I tried to add to my PATH a few
> paths but i could not locate my .bashrc
> or bash_profile like
> on my linux machine.
> I read some DOCs but could not find the
> files on my ~ dir so tried to
> edit \etc\skel\.bash_profile or \etc\skel\.bashrc,
> but there was no effect on $PATH

Just copy the files form /etc/skel to your home dir and edit there.
The skeleton files are what the name says, they don't effect your
environment as long as they are not in your home directory.

> so I exported from the command line
> and my PATH looks like this:
> echo $PATH
> /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
> :/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Common
> Files/Borland Shared/BDE/:/cygdrive/c/Program
> Files/Borland/BDS/3.0/Bin:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32
> :/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/System32/Wbem
> :/cygdrive/c/Program
> Files/Rational/common
> :/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft SQLServer/80/Tools/BINN
> :/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/david/MyDocuments/Borland Studio Projects/Bpl
> :/srilm/bin:srilm/bin/cygwin:/MorphTagger
>

> Still whenever i try to invoke an execuatble
> from /srilm/bin (/srilm/bin is one
> of my additions to PATH)
> I get a command not found messege. Same goes for which command.

PATH with spaces is bad.  Try to mount the directories needed
and add the mount to the path then.

HTH,
Gerrit
--