Permissions on .ssh/id_rsa

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Wed Aug 17 23:00:00 GMT 2005

Christopher Benson-Manica wrote:

> How does one set permissions on id_rsa in such a way as to make ssh
> happy? Nothing I have done has made chmod 700 id_rsa actually work.
> Supposed solutions, such as adding CYGWIN=ntsec or CYGWIN=ntea to
> .bashrc and/or cygwin.bat, have not worked. If someone could enlighten
> me with a solution that actually DOES work, or a pointer to such a
> solution, I would be most grateful.

If you're home directory is remote (i.e. on a file server and perhaps
mounted) then you might try adding smbntsec to CYGWIN. Or you can use
the Windows Explorer Properties: Security and play with the toggles
until you get the desired result. You need to play because there is not
a clear mapping from Windows security bits -> POSIX security bits.

--
Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?