Unable to read/write to a tape with tar

cyril bonnard cyril_bonnard@hotmail.com
Mon Aug 22 14:47:00 GMT 2005

After installing the new dll of cygwin, the behaviour of mt changed to:

Administrateur@t-0e0d94b2a0f54 ~
$ strace -o trace.txt mt -f /dev/st0 status
mt: /dev/st0: Bad address

Administrateur@t-0e0d94b2a0f54 ~
$ mt -f /dev/st0 status
drive type = Unknown type of tape device
drive status = 0
sense key error = 0
residue count = 0
file number = -1
block number = -1
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 00 (default).
General status bits on (1010000):
ONLINE IM_REP_EN

So i cannot provide you the trace and the stackdump with the new dll, i send
the stackdump corresponding to the PREVIOUS run and so to the old dll.

Concerning the SEGV, it occurs only while running strace and not while
running tar/mt alone.

I've attached the cygcheck.

As u noticed, mt status does produce an output with some more information,
if it could help you in your anlayse...

Thank you for your follow up!

cyril.