1.5.18: Install Issues (Windows 2000)

Brian Kirkland bgk@ieee.org
Mon Aug 22 18:12:00 GMT 2005

I am trying to install the latest Cygwin on Windows 2000 Professional.

I do not have Administrator access as this is a work PC.

I downloaded the Cygwin distribution and wrote it to a CD. I then
did an install from the CD to my machine at work.

Here are the problems I ran into:

1. The install runs smoothly all the way to the post install scripts.
   Then, during the post install scripts, I get many pop-ups complaining
   that it cannot locate 2 files: cygintl-2.dll and cygpopt-0.dll.
   I just hit the OK button on each pop-up.

   More specifically, I found that the pop-ups show that gfconftool.exe
   and mkshortcut.exe can't find cygpopt-0.dll on post intstall actions.
   Also, cmp.exe and rpmd.exe can't find cygintl-2.dll on post intstall actions.

2. Where are the less and more commands? I cannot locate the 'less' and 'more'
   commands. They don't seem to be anywhere in my path even though I installed
   everything.  The same goes for the 'clear' command to clear the screen.

4. When I first ran vi, it could not find cygncurses7.dll. I copied
   d:\cygwin\bin\cygncurses-8.dll to d:\cygwin\bin\cygncurses7.dll and then
   vi worked. I also had to copy cygintl-3.dll to cygintl-2.dll.

5. Several commands seem to require cygpopt-?.dll. What package is supposed
   to contain that library?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian Kirkland