Rationale sought: XEmacs 21.5.16 (test) build disabling MS windows toolkit

Rick Rankin rick_rankin@yahoo.com
Mon Aug 22 19:48:00 GMT 2005

--- Shaddy Baddah wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had a play with the XEmacs 21.5.16-1 build (which is the [test]
> version atm). I noticed that, unlike the 21.4.17-1 and 21.4.15-1 build,
> XEmacs could not be started using the native MS windows toolkit.
>
> A quick look at the source package confirmed that support was explicitly
> disabled:
> /usr/src/xemacs-21.5.16-1.sh:130:    --with_msw=no
>                 \
>
> Seeing as this is different from the 21.4 builds, any clues as to the
> rationale behind this?

I believe that the XEmacs 21.5 branch with --with-msw=yes has been broken for a
while; however, I haven't tried to build it in a while, either. Assuming it's
still broken, I suspect that's the "rationale".

I've been doing 21.5 builds with VC++ because I didn't have time to try and
figure out what the problem was and submit a patch upstream. It looks like I
may have some time before too long, assuming someone else doesn't get to it
first ;-)

--Rick