perlcc and permissions

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Sun Aug 28 15:13:00 GMT 2005

Krzysztof Duleba wrote:

> $ ls -l foo.pl
> -rwx------+ 1 Administratorzy Brak 34 Aug 28 16:29 foo.pl
>
> I guess that in strict mode the file should not be readable by me.
> However, cat and perl can read it without problems.

I don't know why perlcc complains when perl does not.  But the above
statement is not necessarily true.  The "+" in the last column of the
permissions means that there are extended ACLs that cannot be mapped to
the simple posix "rwx" scheme.  So you may very well have read and/or
write access to the file, but programs that only know about posix
permissions have no way of knowing this.  You need to use a tool such as
getfacl, cacls, or xcacls to see the full ACLs of the file.

Brian