Help me to get xinetd/inetd working.

Ramasubramanian Ramesh rramesh@ti.com
Wed Aug 31 15:52:00 GMT 2005

>Ramasubramanian Ramesh wrote:
>
>> Thank you for raising the important point of services. I am not much of
>> an expert in windows and thus did not even know about "services" package
>> or its need. I also do not know much about SYSTEM/ntsec and how win xp
>> works. Thus I expected setup.exe to  install services or anything else
>> needed by deafult when I choose inetd/xinetd. Thus I did not know that I
>> need to run the daemons any different.
>
>Setup does not install services because they can often contain
>configuration decisions that the user needs to make.  Most packages that
>are meant to be run as a service come with some kind of install script
>that you can run to take care of the details.  In the case of xinetd
>though, its config script (/usr/bin/xinetd-config) does not install a
>service.  I'm not sure why that is the case, but it seems that the
>packager expects you to run it from the sysvinit manager instead.
>
>Regardless, it's simple to install with cygrunsrv which is the Cygwin
>tool for dealing with services.
>
>cygrunsrv --install xinetd --path /usr/sbin/xinetd --disp "Cygwin xinetd
>daemon"
>cygrunsrv --start xinetd
>
>Note that if you've previously run xinetd as a normal user, the
>permissions on the logfile (default /var/log/servicelog) will be
>incorrect and the service won't start.  If this is the case you'll need
>to either delete the file or set the permissions correctly.
>
>> My fault in not reading /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/login.README is due to the
>> way I looked for docs. In Linux the docs are placed under
>> /usr/share/doc/<command_name>. Thus I looked for /usr/share/doc/login...
>> I should have done a find. I will be more careful next time.
>
>In the Cygwin packaging scheme, /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/*package* contains
>Cygwin-specific package information, and /usr/share/doc/*package*
>contains the upstream documentation for the package.  Some older
>packages still use /usr/doc instead of /usr/share/doc, so there can be a
>number of places to look.  A shortcut is just to run "cygcheck -l
>package" which will show you all of the files associcated with the
>package.
>
>Brian

cygrunsrv --install  worked but --start did not work.  I get connection
refused messages. I noticed that I did not do the CYGWIN=server stuff.
I tried removing the service but that did not work with error messages.
I have rebooted my windows box and I could remove and reinstall with
CYGWIN=server and start the service also. However now I get the
following doing telnet

jolly03 [rramesh] 397 > telnet 128.247.109.58
Trying 128.247.109.58...
Connected to lta0199859b-udp0000010727722uds.sc.ti.com (128.247.109.58).
Escape character is '^]'.

CYGWIN_NT-5.1 1.5.18(0.132/4/2) (LTA0199859B) (tty2)

telnetd: /usr/bin/login: No such file or directory.
Connection closed by foreign host

But definitely /usr/bin/login is there. May be somehow the sense of "/"
has changed between normal cygwin.bat startup and xinetd startup.
Here is mount from the normal login.

C:\userdata\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
C:\userdata\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
C:\userdata\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
c: on /cygdrive/c type system (binmode,noumount)
t: on /cygdrive/t type system (binmode,noumount)
u: on /cygdrive/u type system (binmode,noumount)

With ftp I have a better luck. Still I can't get it to accept my passwd.

jolly03 [rramesh] 399 > ftp 128.247.109.58
Connected to 128.247.109.58.
220-
220- Wow! I have found the ftp daemon! Let's see...
220-
220 LTA0199859B FTP server (GNU inetutils 1.3.2) ready.
500 'AUTH GSSAPI': command not understood.
500 'AUTH KERBEROS_V4': command not understood.
KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
Name (128.247.109.58:rramesh): a0199859
331 Password required for a0199859.
Password:
530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> user a0199859
331 Password required for a0199859.
Password:
530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.
ftp> user ENT\\a0199859
331 Password required for ENT\a0199859.
Password:
530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.

How do I fix the /usr/bin/login problem in telnetd.?
How do I make cygwin authenticate domain names? (I read the login.README
and checked the /etc/passwd file. They seem to be ok)
Is there an environment settting that I am missing?

One thing I noticed is my /etc/passwd file contains
"unused_by_nt/2000/xp" in the passwd field. Should I neet edit and make
it empty as given in login.README? Just to reiterate

cygserver installed as service using cygserver-config script. (what is
this used for? do I have to cygrunsrv --start cygserver?  if so when?)
xinetd installed by cygrunsrv --install xinetd -p /usr/sbin/xinetd.exe
-e "CYGWIN=server,ntsec"
xinetd started by cygrunsrv --start xinetd

Ramesh