cygwin file permissions change after installation

H. S. hs.samix@gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 23:41:00 GMT 2005

Brian Dessent wrote:
> "H. S." wrote:
>

>>Am I supposed to make any changes to certain files's permissions after
>>installing Cygwin? I installed Cygwin (ver 1.5.18-1) and noticed that
>>many websites suggesting changing certain files' permissions to
>>system:system. This installation was on Windows XP computer.
>

> If you're talking about a website that tries to tell you how to install
> sshd, then ignore it completely.  Then remove it from your bookmarks.
> Then never visit it again.  You don't have to do any of that nonsense,
> all you have to do is run ssh-host-config.  Sadly there seem to be many
> of these "helpful" sites that give misleading, outdated, or outright
> bogus information about sshd.
>
> It's normal for the sshd.log file to be empty because sshd logs to the
> event log.
>
> Brian

:D

No, I never really did anything out of the ordinary about this. Just
what the installation and setup scripts asked me to -- and since
everything is working: ssh, rsync, etc, I guess the installation went okay.

As you mention, there are so many sites that tell you to do chmod
system:system that it made wonder what was the real deal behind this.

thanks,
->HS