Call for testing Cygwin snapshot (problem with inode numbers)

Peter Rehley peter@rehley.net
Fri Dec 2 20:34:00 GMT 2005

On Dec 2, 2005, at 3:14 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Dec  1 15:38, Peter Rehley wrote:

>>> Do I understand you right that this only happens for
>>> directories?  The
>>> normal file inodes are looking ok?
>> No, it also happens for files too.
>
> $%^&
>
>>> The output of both tests might be helpful.
>> Output is attached.
>
> Well, the volume information looks exactly as usual for a remote Samba
> drive.
>
> The problem is, that your Samba version apparently screws up the inode
> information and we have re-enabled using the inode numbers sent from
> remote file systems which are supposed to be capable of that.  For
> this
> we use the HAS_PERSISTENT_ACLS property.
>
> What Samba version is your Mac OS X using?  I'm using 3.0.20a for
> which
> the inode information is useable.  Is Samba a part of the OS
> packages or
> did you install it from an external source?  Is it a rather old one?
> Can you upgrade?  The problem is that there's no way for us to
> distinguish
> between a newer and an older version of Samba.  I would rather not
> lose
> the inode information when available.

I'm using mac os x 10.4.3 which is using samba version 3.0.10.  So
it's not that old.  However, I did find one reference that implied
that mac did something funny for acl's.

I'm going to try install a non-apple version of samba and see what
happens.