encoding scripts (so that user can't see passwords easily)?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo@wpkg.org
Sun Dec 4 11:21:00 GMT 2005

I have a little open-source project, which eases Windows administration
a bit.

In some of the scripts, I use usernames and passwords (to get to a
password-protected network share etc.).
Because they are scripts, username and password is in plain.

Although the script files are only readable by SYSTEM and
Administrators, if a disk is stolen, someone could easily get the
passwords by doing simple "grep -r password ./*".

Do you know some tool which could "encode" scripts?

One of such "similar" tools is Microsoft Script Encoder, but perhaps
it's licensing wouldn't allow me to distribute it along with my files.

That's actually how I discovered Cygwin - I had to replace srvany.exe,
(which I couldn't distribute), and I found cygrunsrv :)

--
Tomek
http://wpkg.org