bash vs sh in scripts

David Arnstein arnstein@panix.com
Wed Dec 7 19:56:00 GMT 2005

Some cygwin packages install shell scripts that begin with the line
	#!/bin/sh
The latest example is the smartd script that smartmontools installs in
/etc/rc.d/init.d. But there are many others. This seems to be standard
Linux usage.

On some of my PCs, this causes the shell script to fail. In most
cases, I can fix this by replacing the above line with
	#!/usr/bin/bash

I would like a canonical solution to this issue. Should I simply copy
/usr/bin/bash.exe to /bin/bash.exe? This has fixed the problem on one
of my PCs.