Extracting Debug (meta data) from executable images?

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Wed Dec 7 21:18:00 GMT 2005

Siegfried Heintze wrote:

> What is the relationship between cygwin, windows and these formats and
> libraries? Can I use these linux libraries to read debug information in
> images created with g++ on cygwin?
>
> If not, how do I read the debug information in images created with g++ on
> cygwin?

The gcc / binutils / gdb distributed with Cygwin use stabs.  I believe
that patches to get dwarf2 working have been submitted, and in theory if
you build your own toolchain you should be able to do this.

But "extracting debug info" is way too vague of a term to offer any
meaningful help.  You'd have to state exactly what you're trying to do.
Try "man objdump" or "objdump -g file", or read the binutils/bfd
internals manuals.

Brian