hang on exit in dig.exe

David Arnstein arnstein@pobox.com
Fri Dec 9 02:27:00 GMT 2005

I obtained the official bind (DNS) distribution bind-9.3.1.tar.gz. All I
really want from this distribution is a few utility commands, in
particular, "dig."

The entire distribution compiled under Cygwin without a hitch:
	./configure
	make

However, when I execute
	dig www.microsoft.com
dig hangs on exit.

Using gdb, the hang seems to occur after exit() is called. I executed
	strace dig www.microsoft.com
and dig did not hang.

BUT, when I execute
	strace dig www.microsoft.com > strace.log
I get the hang condition again. Weird!

I attach the usual cygcheck.out file. I also attach strace.log. Finally,
I did a screen capture to record the last few lines of
	strace dig www.microsoft.com
since this invocation did NOT hang. I captured this output as screen.txt.

Any suggestions on how I should proceed?
--
David Arnstein
arnstein@pobox.com