1.5.18-1: issue with cygwin1.dll: "system shared memory version mismatch detected"

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Sat Dec 10 17:20:00 GMT 2005

JeDi wrote:

> Sure Brian, but bash.exe is present nowhere but in my
> cygwin\bin directory, and bash doesn't work. I agree
> with you that my computer is kind of a mess but I
> don't think this is the root cause. Actually, i've set
> up my environment variable with cygwin\bin in the
> first position of my path and it doesn't change
> anything.

It's irrelevent what the name of the .exe is.  As Igor already said,
even if a third party packages a cygwin1.dll that has simply been
renamed, it will still have the same shared memory name, so that if the
two DLLs are ever loaded at the same time they will clash.  This is
exactly what the error message you're getting indicates -- that you have
two incompatible Cygwin libraries on your system somewhere, even if one
of them has been renamed to something you don't recognise.

Brian