Linker error after clean reinstallation of Cygwin

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Sat Dec 17 00:03:00 GMT 2005

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Angelo Graziosi wrote:

> After I reinstalled Cygwin there is the following linker error in build
> some applications:

> g77 ... foo.F ....  -lcygipc
>
> /bin///ld: cannot find -lcygipc
>
> The cygipc package has not been reinstalled, it, now, belongs to obsolte
> section.
>
> Should I reinstall it or is sufficient to delete '-lcygipc' from the
> build command?

Actually, cygipc *is* installed, but the new version is empty (as are all
obsolete packages), so reinstalling it won't help unless you go for the
old version.

That said, IIRC, the cygipc functionality is superseded by the Cygwin DLL
itself, so deleting -lcygipc should work.  However, now instead of
starting the cygipc service, you need to add and start the cygserver
service.  I'm sure there's an entry about this in the FAQ or the User's
Guide somewhere -- if not, you can read the cygserver README.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu