Call for testing Cygwin snapshot (getopt and -liberty don't mix..binutils issue)

Peter Rehley peter@rehley.net
Sat Dec 17 02:54:00 GMT 2005

On Dec 16, 2005, at 6:14 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 05:50:01PM -0800, Peter Rehley wrote:
>>>
>>> libiberty has its own implementation of getopt.  This is not a
>>> cygwin
>>> problem.
>> hmmm, ok.  it's binutils then.  But when I do a build of cygwin using
>> the snapshot, it builds libiberty.a.  The libiberty directory in the
>> snapshot source has a getopt.c file that is nearly identical to the
>> binutils version.  I've tried out the version of libiberty.a that
>> cygwin builds (replaced the binutils version), and it has the same
>> problem as the binutils version.  Why does cygwin need to build it's
>> own version of libiberty?  and where does the libiberty in the cygwin
>> source come from?
>>
>> I'll look at binutils at little closer to track the problem further.
>
> I don't know why you're using libiberty but if it you are using the
> one
> that comes from binutils then it still isn't a cygwin problem
> regardless
> of the fact that you found a libiberty in cygwin's build area.  Cygwin
> has its own version of getopt and it is not the version that comes
> from
> libiberty.  There are no guarantees that cygwin's getopt header will
> match whatever is in libiberty.a.

libiberty.a is being used because the tftpd (tftpd-hpa) package we
are using uses xmalloc and the configure script that comes with that
package determined that libiberty.a contains xmalloc.

I know that the cygwin getopt and libiberty getopt are different, but
I was just wondering why there is a liberty directory in the cygwin src.

And finally for now, is there a way to use the cygwin version of
getopt and not the libiberty version even if we need to link to
libiberty?
Peter