newbie question chdir

Luke Vanderfluit lvanderf@internode.com.au
Mon Dec 19 05:18:00 GMT 2005

Hi.

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 02:48:53PM +1030, Luke Vanderfluit wrote:
>

>>I'm wondering:
>>I've installed cygwin in c:\foo\bar\.
>>Now when I open a shell, I can't cd back to C:\
>>
>>Is there a way to or do I have to install everything in the root
>>directory?
>>

>Cygwin emulates linux so you shouldn't be using MS-DOS path names.  If
>you want to cd to the root drive of c: use "cd /cygdrive/c".
>

>I am getting the feeling that you need a concentrated session of
>documentation reading.  Please go back to the cygwin web site and click
>on the "Documentation" link on the left hand side of the window.  Basic
>questions like this should be amply covered there.

I appreciate why you feel that way. Let me explain a little.
I'm in a situation where I'm more or less forced to use Windows. Company
policy.
I've been using linux for 10 years and am quite au fait with it.
After considering many options, I decided to give cygwin a go. That way
I can use my 'loved' programs and still comply with the company standard.

I have done some looking into the documentation and my knowledge will grow.
So thanks for your help and that of David Billinghurst.

I will study the documentation but meanwhile might need some quick help
here and there.

Kind regards.
Luke

>--