vim under cygwin

Luke Vanderfluit lvanderf@internode.com.au
Tue Dec 20 01:13:00 GMT 2005

Hi Igor.

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Luke Vanderfluit wrote:
>

>>Hi.
>>
>>I'm a vi user :-)
>>
>>I recently started using cygwin, so forgive me if this is an obvious one.
>>I want to use vi under cygwin but I'm having trouble with terminal settings.
>>
>>apparently these are the possible term settings.
>>
>>builtin_ansi
>>builtin_xterm
>>builtin_iris-ansi
>>builtin_dumb
>>
>>However, none of these work right.
>>Can someone advise me on the term settings for windows XP/cygwin or
>>point me to an appropriate resource.
>>

>Just to clarify: if you use the default cmd.exe "console" window (i.e.,
>the default Cygwin shortcut), then your TERM is "cygwin".  If you use
>rxvt or xterm, you'd use TERM="xterm", of course...
>HTH,

Thanks for your reply.
I'm using rxvt. I use the following in cygwin.bat:

bash --login -i -c 'rxvt -geometry 80x29 -sb -sl 10000 -bg Black -fg
green -bd LightSeaGreen -fn Courier -font 7x15'

I've tried setting
term=builtin_xterm -> bad characters when using cursor, no
backspace=delete to previous line as in vim set backspace=2, no info
telling me which mode I'm in.
term=ansi, backspace=2 -> no mode info, backspace deletes but screen
doesn't show deletions until next insert (annoying, not workable)

If there are any cygwin users on XP who have a nicely working vi, please
let me know what your settings are.

Thanks.

Kind regards.
Luke.