Setting cygwin permissions from Windows programs

Steve Holden steve@holdenweb.com
Tue Dec 20 15:23:00 GMT 2005

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
[...]
> Have you checked what the permissions on a file you created by Windows
> looks
> like under Cygwin and seen some problem?  If so, please post the details
> and
> perhaps someone can help.  Otherwise, I'd suggest just doing the above and
> working with the result unless you see problems.  In general, unless you've
> done something to restrict access in Windows, Cygwin can see and interact
> with "natively created" files just fine.

Sorry to bang on about this, but here's a little more detail. If I start
in a Cygwin shell:

sholden@bigboy /c/Apache/htdocs/comsite
$ ls -l index.html
-rwx------  1 sholden None 13834 Dec 20 14:33 index.html

Then in a Windows shell I run the following Python:

C:\Apache\htdocs\comsite>python
Python 2.4.1 (#65, Mar 30 2005, 09:13:57) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on
win32
 >>> from stat import *
 >>> from os import chmod
 >>> chmod("index.html", S_IRWXU|S_IRGRP|S_IWGRP|S_IROTH|S_IWOTH)

This does not have the desired effect:

sholden@bigboy /c/Apache/htdocs/comsite
$ ls -l index.html
-rwx------  1 sholden None 13834 Dec 20 14:33 index.html

I'm quite happy to take this up as a Python error if indeed it is. But
if so I'd appreciate understanding how I could use cacls to assert
-rwxr-xr-x on that file.

My hope is that I'm overlooking a stupid error here.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119