Listening sockets not always closing?

Craig Davison craig@darkcalgary.com
Wed Dec 21 02:17:00 GMT 2005

Hate to reply to my own message, but I missed something...

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Craig Davison wrote:
> I created a small test program to illustrate this. Basically, in a loop, I
> create a SOCK_STREAM socket, call bind() and then listen(), check the
> output of netstat, and then close the socket. It works on several
> versions of Linux, and Windows >= 2000 SP 2, but bind fails with
> EADDRINUSE the second time through the loop on Windows <= 2000 SP1.

It appears that the test program fails with up to Windows 2000 SP4.
Windows XP still works. My observation that SP3/SP4 worked was based on
some production code where I first saw this problem, not the minimal test
code I posted here. Sorry for the confusion.

Can anyone with Win 2000 SP4 reproduce this?
Thanks