SSH problem after upgrade

Thu Dec 22 07:17:00 GMT 2005

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

>Does it help if you leave the files in /usr/bin, but explicitly specify
>the path to the program (e.g., /home/Ed/telnet.exe)?

Unfortunately,  I have tried explicitly specifying the path
(/usr/bin/ssh.exe, /usr/bin/telnet, etc)  with no luck.

>>Some additional notes:
>>#1 - Copying the program to a different name under the SAME directory
>>(/usr/bin)  does not cause the problem to go away, creating symlinks
>>does not help either.  This means the problem is somehow related to
>>something specific to the attributes of /usr/bin itself.
>>#2 - Considering the three programs found (ssh, ftp, telnet), there is a
>>high probability that the root cause is related to how the "socket" or
>>related api cmds are being invoked or differences in how it is being
>>called when the application resides in the home directory versusus
>>/usr/bin.
>>#3 - I have yet to find a complete list, but I am betting that this
>>behavior will exist on all applications trying to open a priviledged
>>port.
>>

>Sounds like a permission issue.  What does "ls -ld /usr/bin" show?
>This may be a red herring, but try the following command:
>
>chmod a+x / /bin /lib /usr /etc

Interesting idea, I tried this, but no luck....

>If this helps, your trouble may be with traverse checking...
>
>Also, can you post the permissions on the original files and the copies in
>your home directory (both "ls -l" and "getfacl")?
>HTH,

Here are the listings, starting with /usr/bin

getfacl /usr/bin/ssh.exe
# file: /usr/bin/ssh
# owner: Ed
# group: Users
user::rwx
group::r-x
group:SYSTEM:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---

ls -l /usr/bin/ssh.exe
-rwxr-x---+ 1 Ed Users 231424 Sep  5 07:37 /usr/bin/ssh.exe

getfacl  /home/Ed/ssh.exe
# file: /home/Ed/ssh.exe
# owner: Ed
# group: None
user::rwx
group::r-x
mask:rwx
other:---

ls -l /home/Ed/ssh.exe
-rwxr-x---  1 Ed None 231424 Dec 20 09:05 /home/Ed/ssh.exe

 I have also tried changing the group of /usr/bin/ssh.exe to None with
no success

Ed