mkpasswd group

Owen Rees owen.rees@hp.com
Thu Dec 22 17:22:00 GMT 2005

--On 22 December 2005 07:31 -0800 Mike Blanco wrote:

> I have run the commands as specified but each time I
> open the console window again I get the same message.
> I have researched this mailing list as well as google
> and found similiar listings but was unable to find
> resolutions to this issue.

Here is something that should be equivalent to what eventually worked for
me running cygwin on XP Pro in an environment where the domain structure is
non-trivial and the domains are large.

mkgroup -l -d > /etc/group
mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd
mkpasswd -u "$USERNAME" -d "$USERDOMAIN" >> /etc/passwd

The 'mkgroup' creates a group file containing local groups and some groups
from some domain that seems to be appropriate in this context.

The first 'mkpasswd' creates a passwd file containing local accounts.

The second 'mkpasswd' creates an entry for my domain account and appends it
to the passwd file. At least in my case, the group id generated in this
step matches the right group entry generated by the call of 'mkgroup'.

In my case, using 'mkpasswd -d "$USERDOMAIN"' would have generated tens of
thousands of entries and taken rather a long time so the use of -u was
rather important. I also had to specify the domain explicitly, the one that
is used if I just use -d is not the domain that contains my account.

--
Owen Rees
Hewlett Packard Laboratories, Bristol, UK