perl Bundle::Cygwin / perl-bundle-cygwin package
Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports)
Thu Dec 22 19:21:00 GMT 2005
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
> I'm working on creating a bundle of common Perl modules that build and
> pass all significant tests on cygwin.
> I hope to have it accepted as a cygwin package.
I think it's preferable to make separate packages for each module. My
1) this is the precedent set by Linux distributions;
2) bumping one module doesn't require rolling a whole bundle;
3) separate modules minimizes unnecessary dependencies;
4) I'm sure there's something else I'm forgetting.
IOW, I do NOT like this idea.
If, OTOH, I do believe that more perl modules should go into the distro,
without packaging the entire CPAN, certainly:
1) modules which don't build OOTB (e.g. Tk, gtk2-perl bindings, etc.);
2) modules which are prerequisites for other packages (e.g.
ExtUtils::PkgConfig, necessary for building gtk2-perl bindings).
The same would apply, of course, to python and ruby. You'll see I
already have a large selection on Cygwin Ports, although not all of
those are candidates for the distro.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (Cygwin)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
More information about the Cygwin