1.5.18: Bash 3.00.16(13) segfault when trying to cd.

Scott Perlman scotttocs@gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 21:06:00 GMT 2005

Fresh intsall of Cygwin onto a new Windows XP sp2 machine.  Machine
was installed in US/English, but has regional settings for Japanese
selected.

When I use 'set -P ; cd' or 'cd -P' I can reliably get bash to receive
a segmentation fault. If -P is NOT used, than I appear to have normal
behaviour.

This behaviour survived a complete removal of cygwin and re-install.

I have attached a session of bash inside GDB where I replicated this,
and got a backtrace. All I did post install was mount my root
directory, and then replicate.

Also attached cygcheck.out, which is output from 'cygcheck -s -v -r'

On a separate install, also 1.5.18, bash 3.00.16(11) I do NOT see this
behaviour.

I am not on the mailing list, so copies directly to this address
requesting more information are preferred. I am not in a position to
reinstall the Operating system on this machine, but I am willing to
assist in debugging this in almost any other way.

Thank you,

-Scott
-------------- next part --------------
$ gdb  bash
GNU gdb 6.3.50_2004-12-28-cvs (cygwin-special)
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin"...(no debugging symbols found)

(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/bin/bash.exe

ttocs@Tango ~
$ set -P

ttocs@Tango ~
$ cd

0x610c5884 in strcpy () from /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll
(gdb) bt
#0  0x610c5884 in strcpy () from /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll
#1  0x6106093a in cygwin_split_path () from /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll
#2  0x610631b3 in cygwin_split_path () from /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll
#3  0x610844ff in cygwin1!aclcheck () from /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll
#4  0x0044b689 in ?? ()
#5  0x005245f8 in ?? ()
#6  0x0046a73c in ?? ()
#7  0x00000000 in ?? () from
(gdb) The program is running.  Exit anyway? (y or n) n
Not confirmed.
(gdb) cont
Continuing.

Program exited normally.