Problems creating "-mno-cygwin" DLLs with libtool.

Wed Feb 2 03:46:00 GMT 2005

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Has it been established that the cygwin version of libtool is *supposed*
> to handle mingw?  I'd be rather surprised if that was a goal.

DING! We HAVE a winner!

The installed libtool has been configured -- by virtue of the fact that
I ran the build in a cygwin environment -- to understand cygwin's
minutia.  It is not intended to work with mingwgcc OR with 'cygwingcc
-mno-cygin'.

If you want an out-of-box libtool that works with mingwgcc, then use the
libtool package distributed by the msys/mingw project.

AFAIK, it is not supported to build-your-own libtool with CC=cygwingcc
-mno-cygwin ... but it might work.  You'd need to do one of the following:

(1) download the whole libtool source package, and
configure/build/install with CC=...-mno-cygwin, CXX=...-mno-cygwin, etc.
  Then try to use THAT libtool from your project.

or

(2) don't call libtool yourself as a platform build tool; instead
"libtoolize" your project so that as part of your own project's build
process it creates its own local libtool (benefit: this local libtool
will use EXACTLY the same settings the rest of your project's build does)

If you're already doing #2, see note above concerning "-mno-cygwin not
supported".

 > OTOH, I never have understood why tools insist on including such
things as
 > "-lcygwin" or "-lc" on a linker command line.

There's a good reason for libtool to do so, but it escapes me at the
moment.  Trust Me(tm).

--
Chuck