hyperthreading fix, try #1

Rolf Campbell thats.unpossible@gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 14:32:00 GMT 2005

Christopher Faylor wrote:
[...]
> Anyway, I took a look at the pipe handling code for the 457th time and
> this time I saw a couple of obvious flaws in my logic.  The
> synchronization was all off.
>
> Fixing that seems to have fixed my hyperthreading problems.  I have run
> three invocations of the scripts for four days without a hiccup.
> Previously, I had problems within minutes.
>
> I'm not naive enough to think that I've solved all of the hyperthreading
> problems but I would like people to try today's snapshot (or any
> snapshot newer than today's) and report on whether it solves the problem
> or not.  If it doesn't, please provide as simple a test case as possible
> so that I can duplicate the problem.

Using the new snapshot (Feb 6th), the problem is still present, and in
fact, occurs much more quickly and reliably on my system.  This is a
modified test case from my original report.  Just put makefile and t.sh
in the same dir, run "./t.sh".  On my 2.8GHz HT P4, it locks up within
the first second very consistantly.  My output look like this:
$ ./t.sh
Loop 1
: Begin 0.pp 1
: Begin 1.pp 1