RXVT copy/paste behavior

Reid Thompson Reid.Thompson@ateb.com
Tue Feb 8 23:01:00 GMT 2005

Dave Korn wrote:
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: cygwin-owner On Behalf Of Phil Betts
>> Sent: 08 February 2005 17:09
>
>   It's insane.

not really -- works exceptionally well for me, much better than keyboard
shortcuts for my use.

>   Unless you have the precision muscular control skills of a
> world-class gymnast, a mouse always moves at least a little
> bit when you press down on the button.

I never considered my muscular control as such - but evidently I should
try out for the next olympics

>   This makes it very tricky to select a new window without
> unintentionally erasing the contents of the clipboard that
> you were hoping to paste there because the mouse moved just
> enough as you clicked it to select a single character and the
> auto-copy destroyed your clipboard contents without asking.

I cannot remember the last time this happened to me... i.e. extremely
rare for this to occur.

>   The entire model is screwy.  It wastes lots of my time and
> interrupts my workflow.  The 'doze way works smoothly and is
> much closer to fail-safe: it's very hard to accidentally
> press Ctrl+C and lose data in the same way.
not true, considering that the c and v keys sit side by side on the
keyboard.

if the sequence copy with left mouse button, select new window with left
mouse button, paste into new window with middle mouse button/scroll
wheel causes you problems...

try

copy with left mouse button, select_and_paste at same time into new
window via middle mouse button/scroll wheel.

reid