Can you install without admin privileges?

Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) BBuchbinder@niaid.nih.gov
Sat Feb 19 04:09:00 GMT 2005

At Friday, February 18, 2005 10:37 AM, Jones, Jeff A. OPNAV wrote:
>   My company places extreme limits on how much "root" access I have
> to my computer. Is there anyway to install cygwin without such
> access?
>
>   When I attempt to run "setup.exe" I get the following message:
> This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on
> this computer. Please contact your system administrator.

If you tried to install for "All Users", try installing for "Just Me"
instead.  There are some things that cygwin can do that need "root" access
(e.g., making hard links? installing as a service?), but most things do not.