Grep for tab character

Robert Mark Bram relaxedrob@optusnet.com.au
Sun Feb 20 20:21:00 GMT 2005

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for your response!

> How about just using the actual tab character?  I don't see any
> indication that
> grep is supposed to treat '\t' specially and it seems to behave that way
> on linux,
> too.

I have read in many places that \t is a metacharacter for tab in regular
expressions - but maybe that's only for sed, perl, awk etc...
http://sitescooper.org/tao_regexps.html

> What's wrong with just using tab?

Because that starts up auto-complete. In other words, I don't know how to
insert a literal tab into a command line.

But I do not like that idea for scripts either - it can be difficult to
visually discriminate a tab from a space character, which can too easily
lead to errors.

Rob
:)

--