rsync throttling (Was: children of init ignore STOP and CONT signals)

Rolf Campbell thats.unpossible@gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 12:01:00 GMT 2005

Sam Inala wrote:
> Cygwin 1.5.12(0.116/4/2) on W2K SP4
>
> Not all signals are ignored. The TERM and INT signals correctly
> terminate the process. I would like to send STOP and CONT to throttle
> the CPU usage of a rsync process. I want to avoid spawning a bash
> process to start rsync because it is started from a Windows process. If
> I invoke a shell process to invoke rsync, it will be difficult to get
> the windows process id so I can translate it to a cygwin process id and
> send it a signal.
>
> Any suggestions?
Use --bwlimit=KBPS.  This should indirectly throttle cpu usage.  This
won't have an impact on the initial cpu-usage if you specify -c to force
check-summing of all files.