regtool - 1.8 - Core dump

Arturus Magi sailorleo@hotpop.com
Sun Feb 27 16:54:00 GMT 2005

Alexander Joerg Herrmann wrote:
> BTW: Why does CygWin use something evil like the
> Window$ Registry anyway for mount points?

Because a bootstrap is needed on startup.  Cygwin can't tell where to
look for the mount table until after it already has the Windows path to
/, and it can't get that until it's found the mount table.

> My Problem was that I have a X11 CygWin Installation
> on my USB Stick so when traveling I can access my
> Internet Host from almost any Internet Cafe running M$
> on the planet. Unfortunatly some places do not allow
> to import Registry Keys which imo makes sense. I tried
> a workaround by using mount which gave me a headache
> mounting the root partition. So I made a script with
> regtool tumbling over the above error.

Well, for starters, you may want to check the man page again:

 >Don't worry it's easy to reproduce:
 >bash-2.05b$ ./regtool -K

Your command line is missing the argument for the -K switch.  Programs
tend to work better when you don't give them broken arguments.  It
probably shouldn't throw a SEGV, but it wouldn't have worked anyway
because you haven't given it enough information to do anything.

Every combination of complete arguments I've passed the tool allows the
program to run without a segmentation fault, even if the arguments
aren't valid in combination or the key location is incomplete (in the
former case you get the output of -h, in the latter a list of valid key
root identifiers).

 > Who would let a buggy programm do it?

Because it's not as buggy as it seems.  If you can't import into the
registry, then you can't import into the registry.  Your program should
be just as useless for those systems where writing into the registry is
disabled.  If it does work, there's a flaw in the system settings you're
exploiting (which most Internet Cafés will ban you from returning for).