Cygrunsrv and other random Cygwin apps, 100% CPU

Chris Wilson cwilson@dawning.com
Wed Jan 5 19:08:00 GMT 2005


So, I recently updated all my Cygwin stuff.  I wanted to play around 
with a few of the KDE apps, especially the Konsole application, as I 
like the idea of a tabbed terminal window.

Anyways, now that everything has been updated, I'm seeing some very 
strange behavior.

When I run random Windows applications, Cygrunsrv.exe starts consuming 
almost all the CPU.  The only server daemon running on my box is the 
SSHD server.  So, from a shell prompt, I'll simply do a "net stop sshd".

That gets rid of Cygrunsrv.exe utilizing all available CPU, but then it 
jumps to the next running Cygwin-related process.  Usually it's 
XWin.exe, as I have the X server launching from my Startup menu via the 
startxwin.bat file.

Ok, so I kill that process, and the CPU utilization seemingly jumps to 
the next available Cygwin-related process.  This little dance continues 
until every last Cygwin-related process is terminated, including any 
Bash sessions I have going.

Once every Cygwin-related process has been killed the Windows 
application that I originally started, from which the entire problem 
stemmed from, crashes.

It doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason to it.  It could be 
something as simple as me starting up BSPlayer to watch an MPG or 
something as CPU-heavy as my TV-Card's capture software.  And I am 
forced to go through the same process each time it occurs; aka killing 
off each Cygwin-related process one at a time until there are none.

If I simply kill the Windows application that kicked the CPU-usage 
problem into gear, I still have to kill each Cygwin-related process 
until there are no more Cygwin-related processes running to get the CPU 
back to normal.

I never saw this problem until I ran the latest Setup.exe to get things 
updated just this weekend.  Unfortunately I can't recall which version 
of the Cygwin DLL I was running with prior to my update, and trust me 
when I say that I'm kicking myself for not capturing a Cygcheck.out file 
prior to me updating, or simply backing up my entire C:\Cygwin directory 
structure to a DVD+RW before I updated things.

Anyways, I've been able to find countless references to high CPU usage 
that seem along the same lines of the issue I'm seeing, but I can't seem 
to find the resolution in any of the previous threads I've been able to 
find.  So if someone could point me in the right direction, it'd be most 
appreciated. :-).

I've attached my cygcheck.txt file with this email.  Hopefully it clues 
one of the Cygwin-gurus into what my problem is. :-)

Thanks much,

-- 

Chris Wilson
-------------- next part --------------
An embedded and charset-unspecified text was scrubbed...
Name: cygcheck.txt
URL: <http://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/attachments/20050105/16bf73b8/attachment.txt>
-------------- next part --------------
--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/


More information about the Cygwin mailing list