Cannot build 21.4.16 under cygwin (gcc 3.3.3)

Jason Tishler jason@tishler.net
Thu Jan 6 13:11:00 GMT 2005

Henry,

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 11:10:26PM +0000, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
> Jason Tishler <xxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx> writes:

Sigh.  More fodder for the spammers... :,(

> > On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 05:22:48PM +0000, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
> >> Ah, but rebasing cygwin1.dll _did_ fix the problem (once I had
> >> tracked down cygserver and cygrunsrv in the Process Manager and
> >> nuked them).
> >
> > Rebasing cygwin1.dll is not recommended which is why rebaseall
> > explicitly skips it.
>
> Oops -- sorry, your instruction page didn't mention that.

I'm not sure what you mean by "instruction page," but my README implies
one should only use rebaseall unless they really know what they are
doing.

> What do you recommend given the evidence so far?

See below...

> [I am now also suffering from the "cygheap base address mismatch"
> phenom., presumably as a result, from at least one app (psql), so I
> would like a better solution.]
>
> So, I should reinstall a clean cygwin, then rebaseall?  My naive
> assumption was that was much _more_ drastic than just rebasing the
> dlls involved. . .

I recommend the following:

1. Just reinstall cygwin1.dll to make sure it is based at 0x61000000.
2. Following the steps in my README:

    Use the following procedure to rebase your entire system:

        1. shutdown all Cygwin processes
        2. start bash (do not use rxvt)
        3. execute rebaseall (in the bash window)

    If you get any errors due to DLLs being in-use or read-only, then
    take the appropriate action and rerun rebaseall.  Otherwise, you run
    the risk of fork() failing.

BTW, you may want to run rebaseall with the -v (i.e., verbose) flag to
verify you haven't run out of address space.  For example, if some of
your DLL are rebased to near 0x61000000 or below, then you are likely to
have problems.

Jason