Obscene content in cygwin file.

Joshua Kolden joshua@CrackCreative.com
Sat Jan 8 20:53:00 GMT 2005

> The question stands:  What is the reason Cygwin should provide this obscene
> content?

This is not the question.  Cygwin already provides the content.
Therefore the question is: should it be removed?  That is to take action
beyond that which is already available to the user.  Those actions being
to A) uninstall, or not install the application; or B) to modify the
open source software in keeping with open source design to address the
perceived flaw.

You argue that it should, because you asses some of the content as
obscene, and are personally offended by it.  Further you imply that
removing the package from your own system is inadequate to address this
offense. (please correct me if I miss state your argument)

I argue that it should not, because I find that the material has no
particular negative quality.  The inclusion of such personality in
software puts me at ease, and allows me to work freely with out the
feeling that I have to watch what I say, or feel that I am working in a
constrictive corporate culture (where I have specifically chosen not to
work).  Further, I am offended by political correctness, it encourages
people to hide their thoughts to avoid offending people instead of
exposing those thoughts to debate.  I am also offended by any attempt by
another to dictate the nature of the software I choose to install on my
computer.

You are offended by it's inclusion, I am offended by it's removal.  We
are at a deadlock, so no clear direction can be agreed upon.  The
content is already included, no clear action can be recommended,
therefore no action should be taken.

Additional, unnecessary, evaluation reveals that while you have two
options to address your offense, I would have none if the tables were
turned.  This provides additional weight to the argument that no action
should be taken since it already represents the fairest arrangement to
our two opposing concerns.