SSH client hang running uncompressed tar on various servers

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Mon Jan 10 17:11:00 GMT 2005

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Jan 11 00:08, Brett Porter wrote:
> > What's weirder: it works when run from bash, but fails when forked
> > from Java (actually, via the program Ant). If I fork  "bash -c 'set'",
> > the environment seems normal, so I assume ssh is also getting the
> > normal environment. If I fork bash from java and run ssh, it still
> > fails. If I run ssh from cmd.exe, it succeeds.
>
> It could be a simple problem with stdio buffering or it could be the
> same problem which keeps native unison from working over ssh in 1.5.12.
> You could try to switch to unbuffered IO in java before forking ssh,
> just for testing.  Is the output from the server side necessary for
> your application to work?  If not, you could redirect output on the
> server side to /dev/null.

Also, redirect the *input* on the *client* side from /dev/null (using
either shell redirection, or the -n ssh flag).  This is a good idea
whenever you invoke non-interactive ssh from another program.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT