is "BKDR_HACDEF.M" found in c:\cygwin\bin\cygcrypt-0.dll for real?

Pat Brown pat@ncbrowns.com
Mon Jan 10 19:21:00 GMT 2005

Laurence G Esmonde wrote:
> We are using Trend Micro's OfficeScan and users at our site started
> having cygcrypt-0.dll quarantined for BKDR_HACDEF.M around 8:15am EST.
> Followed Trend's regedit procedures, but nobody was able to find the
> corresponding registry entries that BKDR_HACDEF.M should have created.

Several of my colleagues and I have seen the same issues with Office
Scan, and failed to find any evidence of the described infection using
Trend's directions.

I tested my home system, which has an up-to-date AVG configuration, and
it had no complaints.

> Does anybody @ Cygwin have a copy of Trend Micro's software to see if it
> trips up on the master TAR file?

FWIW (probably not much), I also verified that the MD5 sum on my
"infected" package matched the sum on my mirror (http://mirrors.rcn.net).

Pat