cygcrypt-0.dll infected

Christopher Faylor cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com
Mon Jan 10 22:19:00 GMT 2005

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 04:40:57PM -0500, Dick Repasky wrote:
>Rather than telling users to bug the anti-virus company it might be worth
>having someone from cygwin contact them to explain the issue.  It might
>also be worth doing a little bit of home work. That is, get a copy of the
>malware, unpack it, and check to see whether cygcrypt-0.dll is included in
>its entirety.  What if it's really only something that bears the name and
>that the anti-virus company is checking names only?
>
>Just my 2 cents,

The fact that a company is inconveniencing its customers for no good
reason should be a more than adequate goad for the company to fix its
problem.  I don't see any reason to set the precedent of having "someone
from cygwin" do investigation when cygwin isn't doing anything wrong.

If Trend Micro doesn't want to fix the problem then presumably people
will take the next logical step.

cgf