Memory for large arrays in cygwin/g77

Mark Hadfield m.hadfield@niwa.co.nz
Mon Jan 10 23:06:00 GMT 2005

Dave Korn wrote:
> [...]

Though I am prone to occasionally employing subtlety, understatement and
  irony for effect in forums like this, my reference to moderate-sized
computational tasks in this connection was not such an occasion.

I run an ocean hydrodynamic model (ROMS) with domain size around 200 x
200 x 30, sometimes larger. For the serious computations I use a Cray
T3E, but for smaller stuff I use my Windows desktop machine or one of
several Linux x86 machines with 1 or 2 CPUs, whatever I can get my hands
on. For me a moderate-size simulation needs 256-512 MiB of memory. (If
they're much larger than that, then they run too slow on the PC, so the
limits associated with 32-bit addressing are not a major issue for me
yet, but they will be in a few years' time.)

 > Anyway, the simple answer appears to be "Use g95 instead",
 > doesn't it?

Bascally, yes. I've been using g95 recently and have found it reliable
and able to handle moderate-sized simulations, though execution is
rather slow. However I did get a "MapViewOfFileEx" error recently with
g95 on an old version of ROMS. That's not a show-stopper, as I seldom
use that version any more, but it's a little worrying...

--
Mark Hadfield            "Ka puwaha te tai nei, Hoea tatou"
m.hadfield@niwa.co.nz